
This last weekend I went to Florence, Oregon with 2 great friends (Deanna and Shannon) to visit another great friend (Shari) who had moved there with her family in July. We drove up Thursday after dropping kids at school. Tons of thanks go out to my mom who came and stayed with my kids so I could go. She made it much easier for me to leave knowing they would be well taken care of!!

The drive to Florence was so beautiful. I think we saw almost every different climate/environment. We started out in the high mountain desert, drove north through Lassen National Park and all the beautiful mountain pines. Then we entered Oregon and the lake area. Rivers and lakes around every corner. Then we dropped down to the coast and it was almost tropical like. Trees canopy over the roads, the coastal breezes and the beautiful Oregon coast. In Florence the coast is amazing. The sand was so soft and smooth. Less than 1/2 mile from the coast line are countless lakes and the large Siuslaw River. Our hotel room overlooked the river and the amazing old bridge, that still lifts for larger boats. Up and down the town of Florence are miles and miles of sand dunes. Right through town, in neighborhood backyards, on the rivers edge. It is so interesting. We got in Thursday night and chatted with Shari until about 2am. After getting ready Friday morning we drove to Shari's parents house sitting on a lake to say hi real quick. Then we headed to the ocean. We spent lots of time just playing, running, hunting for shells and enjoying the beautiful view. After a while we decided we should eat. We went to old town Florence and ate at a popular riverside restaurant called Mo's. The food was great, service left a bit to be desired, but it was yummy!! After that we walked old town a bit realizing that most things close around 5, and we had missed lots of shops we wanted to see. So we headed back to Shari's house to visit with each other and her family.

After a not so late night, 11 ish, we all got a good nights sleep and were up and ready to go for Saturday. Shari made a wonderful breakfast for us at her home. Then we spent hours roaming in and out of countless antique stores. We all found something we loved and had to have!! I found a beautiful antique oil lantern. After antiquing we headed back to old town to hit the shops we had missed the night before. There were wonderful kitchen stores, tourist stores, toy shops, baby shops, candle and jewelery stores and fabulous candy shops. We had a wonderful time just meandering in and out of so many different shops. The old town in right on the lake and so
close to the ocean it smells wonderful and the ocean breeze is always blowing a bit. We were able to find things for all our kids and hubbys and ourselves too!! After shopping we went t dinner at the Firehouse Restaurant. Shari's daughter, Jenni, who works there, had saved us a table. It was the most amazing food. So so yummy!! I was a bit worried about what I would eat the whole weekend. Florence being such a fresh seafood catch place I wasn't sure I would have very many choices. FYI: I am highly allergic to all shellfish ie: shrimp, crab, oysters, clams etc! So I was a bit worried something would accidentally touch my food or I wouldn't know it was a "secret" ingredient! But I didn't have a hard time at all. Everything was wonderful. And from what the others said, the Clam Chowder was worth the trip!!
close to the ocean it smells wonderful and the ocean breeze is always blowing a bit. We were able to find things for all our kids and hubbys and ourselves too!! After shopping we went t dinner at the Firehouse Restaurant. Shari's daughter, Jenni, who works there, had saved us a table. It was the most amazing food. So so yummy!! I was a bit worried about what I would eat the whole weekend. Florence being such a fresh seafood catch place I wasn't sure I would have very many choices. FYI: I am highly allergic to all shellfish ie: shrimp, crab, oysters, clams etc! So I was a bit worried something would accidentally touch my food or I wouldn't know it was a "secret" ingredient! But I didn't have a hard time at all. Everything was wonderful. And from what the others said, the Clam Chowder was worth the trip!! After dinner we headed back to the hotel and talked for hours. It was so wonderful to catch up and see how happy Shari and her family were in their new home. As much as we miss her, she and her family needed new surroundings and things have worked out wonderful for them.
Sunday morning Shari and Zack came to the hotel before church to say goodbye. It was such a wonderful trip and I am so glad we made it work. Brynne, Shannon's 11 month old, was such a trooper. She did so good with us hauling her around all day long, all weekend. Deanna, Shari and I were amazed at how she just went with the flow and enjoyed all the attention we gave her. And no, she wasn't drinking the Pepsi, but she loved holding it, and she slept great with it in her hands!! Two days of driving was long for her but as long as mommy and food were close she was great! I do think she was very happy to get out of her car seat and be home.

I am so thankful for wonderful, supportive friends and really wonderful husbands who urged us to go and enjoy ourselves.


No comments:
Post a Comment