Sunday, March 2, 2008

Records come to an End

Yep, our children's long standing record of being healthy came to a screeching halt the past 2 weeks. We had not had to take any of the kids to the doctor for any illness since before we moved to Nevada. So it has been around 5 years or more since any have been sick enough to see a doctor. Well, when we break a record we smash it good. Each of the kids have seen a doc in the last 2 weeks and Kallie and Broc have been twice. After our initial visit on my last post, things went downhill from there. Kallie and Kassie stayed home that whole week. Chey starting coming down with something on the 21st and stayed home Thursday, Friday and Monday. On Friday I took Chey in and Kallie back to the doctors. Chey was diagnosed with croup, but I think it was also covering a few other things. Kallie was getting over what we were told was adnovirus, which turned into influenza. But she had woke that morning with a severe earache. So she got antibiotics and Chey was given an in-office steroid for the croup inflammation. It had been a rough week and I was ready for everyone to get well again. No such luck. Broc had an earache Saturday morning. Luckily the on call doctor believed me when I told her all we had been through the past week, and she called in an antibiotic for him. We made it through the weekend with everyone but Kassie feeling pretty yucky still. Thomas and I both came down with a core throat and cough, and it hasn't been too bad, or last to long. Well Monday Chey was still yucky. Her throat was really sore and she was getting headaches. She rested all day and said she felt better that evening. She begged to go to her basketball game. I finally gave in, that was a mistake. She looked half dead out on that court. She was 3 steps behind the whole game and in the second half couldn't even run because of her headache. They only had 5 players so she played most of the game. Tuesday she woke feeling better and really wanted to go to school. I tried again to talk her out of it, without any luck. She's pretty stubborn. After school Tuesday she looked miserable and said her head hurt and her ear had started hurting. So I called the doc again and luckily got through right before he went into a meeting. He called in an antibiotic for her too. She seems to be getting better, but is still struggling with periodic headaches. She played BB Wednesday night and did better, but missed Thursdays game.
As for everyone else. Broc only made it through half of a friends birthday party before he was worn out on Saturday. He missed his last day of swimming for this session on Friday. And he also missed preschool on Thursday. His is the other record broken. He had never been on an anitbiotic before. I was so sad when I had to call for him because I knew this wasn't going away on it's own. The doctor was pretty sad too that she was the one who had to perscribe his very first antibiotics!! K&K missed a whole week of school. Thankfully their teachers sent work home with Chey on Wednesday and I picked up every ones on Friday too. So they weren't to far behind when they came back Monday. It took them a few days still to get all their energy back. Thursday I called and got Nait in to make sure he wasn't getting all the yucky stuff too. He had been a little congested and having a hard time sleeping for very long. Thankfully he checked out great and is still going and growing strong.

In other news, Thomas' mom, Jodeane and step dad, Clyde flew in Wednesday night for a visit. It was their first chance to see Nait. So we are enjoying their visit right now. Saturday Thomas took everyone except Chey, Nait and me up sledding and then to the lake. Clyde and Jodeane had never seen Tahoe so they went to Sand Harbor for a little while.
That night Thomas and I had Stake Conference. He went to a 4 o'clock meeting. Then some friends of ours all met for dinner after the men's meeting. Then we went to the adult session at 7. Jodeane was great offering to stay home with the kids so we could go. I think they all had fun with grandma. She had taught them to play marbles and jacks. But quickly had to modify the marbles game because of our wood floor. So we ended up with blankets as bumpers and huge Frisbees as targets, just to keep the marbles from rolling all over and under couches and the piano. Clyde has enjoyed taking several daily walks or runs around our house. They will be here until Tuesday afternoon. Here's hoping and praying everyone is on the mend and things will soon be back to normal. We've seen the doc enough and we hope it will be another 5 years before we have to see him again. Other than well child visits and shots that is!!

I did get Naits pictures picked up last Monday. They turned out very cute. I have posted all of them in our albums so take a look there for all the shots. He has really started smiling a lot and I've gotten a few little giggles out of him too. He is growing so fast. At his appointment on Thursday he weighed 13 lb. 7 ounces. We'll just say he really enjoys eating. I also posted a video I took of him smiling and talking and making funny faces, so check that out too.
I also attended a softball parents meeting Thursday night. I am really looking forward to this season. The new coaches plan on easing up a bit and having more fun. All 3 of the girls are on the same team, that is a huge blessing by its self. They start practices this week. A few of Cheys BB games will overlap SB practices but the coaches understand. And Broc will start T-Ball pretty soon also. So spring is definately on its way. Thomas and I are really looking forward to our SB season also. I think of how crazy things are going to get with all the ball games and practices, then I think about the last 2 weeks and know if I survived that, I can make it through anything!!!!

No comments:

See Who's Been Lookin'