
Yesterday we celebrated Kallie and Kassie's 10th birthday. I vividly remember the day 10 years, 7 1/2 months ago when our wonderful Dr. (who was a good friend of ours also) looked at me at said, "Oh, there's two!" And I replied, "Two what?" "Two babies!"
After going back and forth for a few minutes with me in denial and him trying to persuade me to look at the screen, I looked. Sure enough there were 2 very distinct skulls. I cried, thinking of my little CheyB, who was only 17 months at the time. There was no way I could do 3 babies under the age of 2! Thomas' first reaction was, " We need a new car!" I could have and would have hit him, if I could have reached him.
I remember calling my mom that afternoon in tears. I couldn't speak, so all she knew was that I had a Dr. appointment that day and I was crying hysterically. I knew she thought the worst, so I finally managed to get out, "There's two." I kept hearing her say, " Two what?" I managed to calm myself down and explain we were have twins. I went to my night class that night and told some friends. I pondered for days what to do about school. I ended up dropping that semester at the advice of our Dr. After all, who knew what the next fews months would bring. I could be on bed rest, I could have very early preemies. School, which was a high priority, had suddenly dropped to the last priority. Not to mention, I had a little 1 year old who needed me!
The next few months passed quickly. Chey became a very independent little girl and loved to lay in bed with me and read books.
We made it past all the important deadlines. We learned our babies were identical girls. Now that was another emotional day. 3 girls in 22 months, not only will that be hard when they were little, but just the thought of 3 teenage girls that close, scared me to death!
I remember well the last Dr. appointment. I had been going in twice a week for stress tests. So far, everything had been going perfect. We were 33 weeks and 4 days. That day, we were doing another ultrasound. The girls looked good, they were growing well. I had be receiving a shot twice a week to develop their lungs, just in case. During the ultrasound, Dr, Crane got quiet. He showed us what he saw and said the top one, baby B's cord was down down below baby A's head, between her head and my cervix. He didn't like the looks of things and wanted to do an exam. We headed to the other room, and he examined me and quickly said, "The babies have to come out now." I was shocked, all had been going so smoothly and I was not physically or emotionally ready. The other news was they would definately have to be C-section. The cord that was below baby A's head belonged to baby B, who was laying across the top of my belly. I was dilated to a 3 and baby B's cord was presenting. If I went into labor, all 3 of us would die. And most important, my mom was still in California! He said we could wait until morning if I promised to take it really easy and call if there was even a twinge of discomfort. I got home and called my mom. She managed to get on the last plane out of Reno that night and made it to Salt Lake. We were so excited to pick her up. Of course, no one would let me walk all over the airport, so Thomas parked me at the baggage terminal and I sat and waited for everyone. WOW, the looks I received were hysterical. Yes, I was young, yes, I was HUGE and I was sitting all alone in an airport. I'm sure I looked very pathetic! Thankfully my sister Kristi had been with us for a few weeks, so my big sis was there taking care of me and Chey and was so happy she would still be there to meet the girls.


Very early the next morning, Thomas and I drove to the hospital and were very quickly rushed through registration. Dr. Crane had notified the Labor/Delivery nurses we were coming and it was to be done quickly. I was prepped, poked, shaved, monitors everywhere, baby monitors everywhere. We were quickly taken down the hall to surgery. Thomas came in after I was laying down and pretty much numb. I begged Dr. Crane to let me watch. He set up a mirror on the side and adjusted the over head lamp so I could see the reflection of where he was working. The started cutting. Next thing I heard was a little laughing and Dr.'s saying, well that won't work. The had reached in and grabbed two legs and started to take that baby our when they realized 3 legs were coming and the 2 they had a hold of were to different babies. They reached back in and found a butt, then followed the butt to the legs and pulled out Baby A, our Kallie Jo. Kassie Chloe came just 2 minutes later. They were 4 lb. 12oz. 18 in. & 4 lb. 10oz. 17in. And they were perfect. The screamed and cried until they laid them in their daddy's arms together.
Over the next few weeks we made many trips to the hospital. My mom and at least 1 of my sisters were with us for the next 8 weeks. The girls stayed in the hospital for 18 days. The came home on Wednesday July 13th. What a great day. There were many ups and downs in the NICU, but for the most part they did what they were suppose to do. Kassie gave us a few scares and was almost life flighted to Primary Children's in SLC, but she rallying and her liver got back to normal. The day they came home was wonderful. To see these 2 tiny girls and their big sister all in the same house was such a relief.


Next thing I know, we are celebrating their 10th birthday. What a joy they are to us. They provide so much entertainment in our house. They are silly and funny and so quirky in their own little way. They talk the same, laugh the same, have conversations in the sleep, sleep intertwined and are just really happy girls.


They are a unique experience I wish everyone had the chance to see. They relationship would make anyone envious. They always have their best friend by their side. They have NEVER fought, never slept apart and they always are looking out for each other.


I am excited to see what their life brings for them. They are so smart and challenge each other in the best ways. We are so incredibly blessed to be able to raise them, love them and teach them. I can only thank my Heavenly Father for allowing us the great blessing of having them in our family.

4 comments:
That is such a beautiful story of the day they were born. What a great gift to be their mom.
Happy Birthday Girls. We love you. I remember when you guys were 5 and in my primary class. You girls are becoming beautiful young women.
Happy Birthday to the twins. I wish I would have lived near you when they were born so I could have been as big a help to you as you were to me when I had Bee. Thanks for sharing their story!
Thanks for sharing the story of their birth! (It made me cry...just imagining all the feelings...and being able to relate.) It is scary, and it changes your life in ways a single baby wouldn't - but what incredible blessings. I often think...are those really those same little babies from the NICU?
Post a Comment