Sunday, July 19, 2009

Girl's Camp '09

Chey and I had a wonderful time at this year's Stake Girl's Camp. The theme was Broadway, so all the groups were names after a Broadway Production. Chey's group was Beauty and the Beast. She had wonderful leaders and had a group of really great girls that she became quick friends with. She and Sabrina were together, and Sabrina's mom was one of their leaders. I was in charge of the Rock Climbing wall and the Capers (chores) assignments. I helped out any other places I could, because my jobs didn't keep me very busy. So I also planned and lead the 1st year, 3 mile hike, helped organize the 4th Nature requirement and lead the 1st year nature hike.

It was great getting to know so many women from around our Stake. We had great nights staying up late laughing like little girls. We played a few pranks on the older girls and enjoyed every minute we were there. I wish I had been able to take more pictures. We were always going going going, it was hard to get my camera out, or even have it with me all the time. So there aren't very many pictures.
Several times I was able to sneak away out on a kayak for an hour or so. Laura came with me most of the time. I spent every free time afternoon at the Rock Wall. It was so amazing watching the girls get so determined to reach the top. Many more made it than I thought would. Many didn't succeed the first time but came back the next day or the next to try again. Many of the leaders were successful in reaching the top. It was great to see those who didn't think they had a chance, actually make it. Me included! Yep, the first day, at the wall training, I tried but got stuck and came down. But the next time I had a chance to go up, I made it. Then I climbed it a few more times. I decided I really enjoy rock climbing and would love to be able to do it more often. I also enjoyed the zip line several times. Chey loved it. Especially when they started doubling up. She and Sabrina went down together several times.
We had great campfires, the best food ever!, and a really sweet testimony meeting. The staff was wonderful and the youth leaders were great.
I really didn't think I would enjoy this camp as much as the camp I went to as a girl. From what I knew before camp, it was so much different. No cabins for one! But I found the right combination for a very comfortable bed and slept great, when I finally would go to bed. Sleeping under the stars wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not that I hadn't done it many times before, just not for that long with out a tent.
I made some new friends, relaxed, played hard, enjoyed good old girl fun and really had a great time. I feel very blessed I was able to be there with Chey for her 1st year. Enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

Matt N Karen said...

Glad you had fun, all I hear at my house is all the songs..singing singing singing. Kelsey had fun and says she will make it to the top of the rock wall next year!

See Who's Been Lookin'