Yesterday, my little sister, Breanne and her husband Blake, welcomed a new baby to their family and ours. I would love to give you her name, but as of right now, she is just baby girl Smith. She was born at 11:44 pm on Aug 12, successfully achieving her very own birthday, NO SHARING. HTe day before was my uncles birthday, the day after was 2 of her cousins birthdays and a cousin in law. The next day was her aunts birthday. So in a week full of family birthdays she made her appearance just in time to keep her birthday to her self.
I was able to be there through most of her labor. I got the call they were keeping her at the hospital while I was up at Lake Tahoe with my family and some friends. Thomas and I had discussed taking 2 cars, just in case, but decided against it. Silly us! SO after about an hour of discussion and contemplation, and the generosity of great friends, I left my family at the lake and drove to Nevada City. Thomas and the kids and all our stuff was brought home later by our wonderful friends the Klings and Voigtlaenders. I also had to get special permission from Chey to leave. Knowing I would miss most of her actual birthday and her birthday morning, including a special breakfast, I needed to make sure she was okay with me leaving. She was just excited to know the baby was coming and told me to hurry up and leave already! So I did, with nothing but the clothes on my back, not knowing how long I would be gone.
Breanne's last labor lasted over 30 hours, so we were ready for a long few days if necessary. I got into Nevada City and drove straight my parents to shower the lake smell off of me before going to the hospital. Mom still had Kennidi, so we took her to my aunts house then headed to the hospital. Breanne was dilated to 3cm. and the doc had just broken her water. She was contracting nicely. She had been given some drugs to take the edge off so she was kinda being loopy too! After a couple of hours of good hard contractions, several position changes and lots of deep breathing she has dilated to 5cm and was ready for her good drugs. The wonderful anesthesiologist came in and gave her a shot to take the pain away. She was still able to feel the pressure of each contraction, but she could rest and sleep. Mom, Kristi and I went to the store to get some books and fuel for the rest of the night. When we got back she was waking up and feeling more pressure and little bits of pain. The nurse came in to check her and to all of our surprise and excitement she was at 10cm and ready to push.
Dr. Goddard was called and she started pushing. Just 15 minutes later a beautiful baby girl was born. Brea was such a trooper. Knowing she was possibly in for another 30 hour labor, she started this process with a positive attitude and knew no matter how hard it was worth it. We were all so thankful for a short (short compared to her last time) and very smooth 11 hours!
Baby Girl Smith weighed 7 lb. 1 oz. and was 21 in. long. She looks like a Smith, but not exactly like Kennidi. She is beautiful and perfect!
Mom and I stayed until about 1:30 am until Brea and the baby were all cleaned up and ready to get settled into their recovery room. I came back the next morning to check on everyone before I left to get back to my own kids. Kennidi was there and was very much in love with her baby sister.
She was hugging and kissing and squeezing every chance she got. She was so excited to have a "real" baby to play with.
I stayed for about an hour until Kennidi was getting to rowdy and needed a nap. She was going home with granma and I needed to get back to my our birthday girl. Everyone did great through the night. Baby girl was nursing well and Brea was feeling good.
I am so thankful to Blake and Breanne for letting me share this very special time with them. Even though I have 5 children myself, the experience of watching the miracle of child birth is amazing every time. And since only 1 of mine was a natural delivery, it made it even more special for me. I loved watching that beautiful niece of mine enter this world. She is part of a wonderful family and will be loved and cared for by SO many great people.
Welcome Baby Girl Smith, we love you so much, even without a name!!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Tami! Hope you have a blessed day and another great year ahead. Congratulations on your sweet little niece too.
tiffany
Post a Comment